Yesterday, while I was at work, my kids decided to make slime and dye it certain colors. The kids had fun making the slime and probably didn't realize that they were doing science experiments at the same time. What they didn't realize was that the food coloring (red) stained their hands. Getting messy and making mistakes is what learning is all about!!! (at least that is what Ms. Frizzle says :) ).
Last night, after dinner, I got on the computer and looked up ways to remove red dye off of skin. There were several different concoctions mentioned and yes, I did try most of them. The kids and I tried vinegar (not the apple cider one), baking soda paste (baking soda mixed with a little bit of water), vinegar and baking soda mixed together, and finally dishwasher detergent with a little bit of water (the dishwasher detergent has to be the dry detergent). After some experimenting, the kids and I found that the dishwasher detergent scrub was the best. Are their hands still bright pink? No. Are their hands still pink? Yes, but the color is fading to almost gone.
Like I told my kids, we live and learn. Making mistakes helps us to grow with knowledge and helps us to remember to wear food handling gloves when dye's are being used :)