Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Out Like a Lamb...

Here it is, the end of March and as the saying goes...March is "going out like a lamb". 

Instead of looking back on my goals, I thought I would post an update of our homeschool and what the kids have been up to...

Reading ~ Both Nick and Sam have been reading chapter books the last couple of months.  Nick is on book 4 in the Harry Potter series and Sam has read book 1, 3 and a little of 4 in the same series.  Sam has also read a few 'Little House on the Prairie' chapter books and a new chapter book, suggested by our awesome librarians, 'Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library'.  Sam loves this book and is reading it again.  She highly recommends it to everyone :)

Math ~ Towards the end of February, the kids started Life of Fred: Fractions.  They have 8 more chapters left until they finish.  I have to admit that I was unsure about teaching them fractions but 'Fred' does an awesome job with helping me.  (I fear fractions!!!)

Spelling ~ Nick has completed Sequential Spelling 2 (SS2) and is working on 'spelling word practice' that I have made for him.  Sam is almost finished with  SS2. 

Science ~ Both Nick and Sam are enjoying their science.  Nick is learning from Zoology 1: Flying Creatures and Sam is learning from Zoology 3: Land Animals.  I love that they have journals that have great learning exercises to help them.  Also, they have copy work with every chapter...a plus for me!

Language Arts ~ Both Nick and Sam are working in 'Jump In' and have almost completed the second chapter.  So far, I haven't heard any complaints and they love this curriculum because it is easy for them to understand.  They work in this curriculum 2 to 3 days a week. 

History ~ We finished the 2nd Quarter in Mystery of History Vol.1.  We decided to stop with MOH for the remainder of the 2014/2015 year. 

Book of Mormon ~ Everyday, Nick and Sam read at least a chapter, or a portion of a chapter, from the Book of Mormon.  Sometimes Sam reads a bit more, but not too often.  Nick and Sam are doing very well with their reading.

Free Time ~ During this time, the kids are working on the computer, making lego projects, reading, baking, playing outside with the chickens, doing arts and crafts, etc.

We are on the home stretch of the 2014/2015 homeschool year.  I am planning on April 30th as the last day.  May is our summer break and during that time, I will be researching and planning the next year.  Here's to the final stretch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment