The kids are back to lessons after taking 3 weeks off. I have to say that this week went better than I anticipated. Usually I hear grumbles and whining. It is safe to say that Nick and Sam were ready to get back to the grindstone of lessons.
- Copy work - the kids have been practicing their cursive writing by using exercises that I downloaded from the internet. They work on one sheet a day and I am very pleased with their progress.
- Spelling - They are using a software program that I bought (Sequential Spelling 2) and working at their own pace. Nick is starting to get challenged and it shows with his daily lessons. He is getting a little frustrated but is taking it in stride. Sam hasn't made any complaints, but I am sure once she gets to Nick's level, she might. Other than that, all is good.
- Book of Mormon - Nick and Sam are reading at their own pace and are doing a great job!
- Reading - Everyday, the kids are to read 1/2 an hour of any book of their choosing. They are each working on a chapter book.
- Science - This is something new that started this week. Both Nick and Sam had a voice in the decision and they are working in 'Exploring Creation with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures' (Nick) and 'Exploring Creation with Zoology 3: Land Animals' (Sam). They worked on Lesson 1 in their perspective books and did a great job.
- Handwriting - Again, this is something new that started this week. The curriculum that Nick and Sam are using is called 'Jump-In'. So far, I am very pleased and I think the kids are enjoying this curriculum much better than 'Cover Story'. Less confusing and better to understand.
- Math - This week, Nick and Sam started Life of Fred: Fractions. We all do the math together. I know that the student is supposed to read the chapter and do the problem, but I have found that working together helps each other learn. I am not that great with fractions, so this is a win-win for all of us.
- History - we are still working in Mystery of History, Vol 1. We are half way through quarter 2 and am hoping that we can finish this volume by the end of the 2014/2015 year (end of April). The kids have been enjoying each lesson.
A busy and fun week. How was yours?