- Copy work - Each day during the the week, Nick and Sam have been working on their cursive writing by using scriptures each day. The scriptures that they copy work are also in cursive. So learning to read and write cursive each day has been a plus.
- Spelling - Right now the kids are working on Sequential Spelling 2. Before the 2014/2015 year comes to a close, they will be working on Sequential Spelling 3. This program works well for them and we will continue to use it until I feel they have no more need for it.
- Book of Mormon - Nick and Sam are reading at their own pace. They started reading the Book of Mormon in October. They read 1/2 to a whole chapter each day.
- Reading - Nick and Sam read at least 1/2 hour each day. They can read a book of their choosing and if they read more...even better :)
- Life of Fred - The kids have completed the Elementary Series and the Intermediate Series. Starting in January they will begin Life of Fred: Fractions. They are looking forward to learning more about Fred and, of course, math.
- Mystery of History Volume 1 - The kids are working in Quarter 2 and are almost finished. We are hoping to complete the book before the end of April.
- Science Experiments - We have dabbled a bit with some experiments but it just hasn't taken off. A different plan is in the works for the remainder of the 2014/2015 year.
In January their homeschool lessons will have a bit more substance. After a bit of research and talking things over with Nick and Sam, the following subjects will be added:
- Jump-In - This is a writing curriculum for middle-school age. I know that Sam is not quite the age but I feel this will be good for her. It is a workbook with activities for the week. We tried a different curriculum at the beginning of the 2014/2015 year but it was not working out well for the kids. A lot of confusion and frustration. Jump-in looks user friendly and it can be used for 2 years.
- Elementary Science - After reviewing and contemplating on what to do with science, the kids and I settled on the following curriculum. Nick chose Zoology 1 and Sam chose Zoology 3. Their choices will more than likely take them into the 2015/2016 year.
Christmas break comes to an end on January 4th and 2014/2015 lessons start up on January 5th. We are all looking forward to a great year of learning :)