- Copy work - Each day, Nick and Sam work on a page, sometimes two, of copy work. These past four weeks, the kids have copied quotes by C. S. Lewis, Dr. Seuss and L. Frank Baum.
- Spelling - This year, the kids started with Sequential Spelling 2. Nick and Sam are working at their own pace each day.
- Cover Story - The kids watch and work on a lesson three days a week and are also required to do daily journal entries. These past four weeks, the kids have had to come up with 5 questions each day. They just finished up Unit 1 and took their first test tonight. They both did pretty good and I am happy to know that they are actually listening and learning from the DVD lessons
- Reading - This is a daily, 1/2 hour time for both Nick and Sam
- Mystery of History - Three nights a week, the kids and I work on a lesson each of those three nights. So far, the kids have had a refresher lesson about Creation, Adam and Eve, Jubal and Tubal-Cain, Noah, Ice Age, and Dinosaurs. They also have learned about Sumerians, The Tower of Babel and The Epic of Gilgamesh. The kids have taken at least 3 pretests and 2 regular tests.
- Life of Fred - Jelly Beans. We worked through the whole book and tonight we completed the elementary series. I really enjoy Life of Fred and so do the kids. It makes life more enjoyable and peaceful in the house.
- Don't Be A Lemuel - This is a pretty good book and study of Nephi and his brothers Laman and Lemuel from the Book of Mormon. The lessons have been about following Heavenly Father's commandments and to find and capture the spirit of the Lord. The kids really seem to enjoy these lessons and so do I.
- Chickens - The kids are responsible for helping with the chickens...water, feed and cleaning the coop. We have added two more to the fold...2 guinea hens along with the two chicks that hatched about 3 weeks ago.
- Life-Skills - Nick and Sam have helped with the upstairs construction. They helped with the mudding and priming of the living room walls. Nick and Sam have also had a few baking lessons and they even fixed dinner for the family a couple of nights.
Friday, June 27, 2014
The First 4 Weeks
Four weeks ago, Nick and Sam started their 2014/2015 homeschool year. In random order, the following is what they have been learning/working on: