- Writing Curriculum - this year, the kids will be using Cover Story. I know that Sam is not quite in middle school but I feel that this curriculum will give her the tools that she needs to help expand her interest in writing. I also wanted something for Nick as well. This curriculum, I hope, will be good for his imagination and help open up the world of writing. I like the idea behind 'Cover Story' and if all goes well, both Nick and Sam will have quite the project at the end of the 2014/2015 homeschool year.
- History - We will be revisiting Mystery of History: Volume 1. We tried this a couple of years ago but never completed the volume. I feel that Nick and Sam are ready to tackle it again and I am looking forward to learning along with them.
- Math - We will be finishing up the Life of Fred Elementary Series with Jelly Beans and then move onto the Intermediate Series of Kidneys, Liver and Mineshaft. Life of Fred has been great for Nick and Sam and they enjoy learning a different things from Fred.
- Spelling - Nick and Sam will continue with Disc 2 of Sequential Spelling. I have been impressed with this program and the kids are doing great with it.
- Reading - Both Nick and Sam will be required to read at least 30 minutes a day of anything they want to read. They will also have a goal to read at least one chapter book per month, more if they feel so inclined.
- Art - This can be free-art as well as activities with their writing curriculum and history.
- Computer Time - again, both Nick and Sam will have 30 minutes of computer time after they finish up with their morning lessons. If they choose to do educational stuff on the computer, they are able to have more time.
- Science - Daily care of chickens, gathering eggs and hatching more eggs for our friend.
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Planning for the 2014/2015 Homeschool Year
With only a few more weeks of 'summer vacation' left, I thought that I would share our plans for the 2014/2015 homeschool year....