Monday, March 18, 2013

Arrgh!

I can tell you from the title of this blog that my day was NOT a bad one.  In fact, the title has to do with what my children have been interested in lately.  I am not sure what sparked the interest, but I can say that it probably has to do with  Captain Jack Sparrow...





and Davy Jones...

and Queen Anne's Revenge

Yup, you guessed it, PIRATES!

This past Saturday, my son checked out several books from the library about pirates and one of the books was full of activities/arts and crafts that had to do with pirates.  Tonight, Nick and Sam decided to make their own Jolly Roger's

Here are some pictures from start to finish...

First, take an old canvas winter coat that daddy used to wear and start cutting it up

Second, cut your 'jolly roger' into the shape you want it in


Third, design your your logo on the 'jolly roger'

Fourth, hand drill a hole at the top of your dowel.  Adult supervision a must as sharp instruments are being used.  Once the hole is made, the metal loop thingy (I don't know the technical term, but this is where you put the string in to hoist up the flag)


Fifth, string up your 'Jolly Roger' and let it fly in the wind.

All of the materials, except for the dowel were found in our house.  The logo's of each jolly roger were made with chalk. Cost from the beginning to the end was about $3.00 each.
The hand drawn pictures of Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones and Queen Anne's Revenge were done by my son, Nickolas.

"Drink up me hearties, yo-ho" ~ Captain Jack Sparrow







No comments:

Post a Comment