Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Runaway Quilt - review






From the beginning pages of this book to the very last sentence, I was drawn into the story of "The Runaway Quilt:", from the Elm Creek Quilts series. 

"Alerted to the possibility that her family had ties to the slaveholding South, Sylvia scours her attic and finds three quilts and a memoir written by Gerda, the spinster sister of clan patriarch Hans Bergstrom.  The memoir describes the founding of Elm Creek Manor and how, using quilts as makers, Hans, his wife, Anneke, and Gerda came to beckon fugitive slaves to safety within its walls..." (portion from the inside cover of the book)

I enjoy reading about the Civil War era and found this book rather intriguing.  I am a bit familiar with the 'Underground Railroad' but wish I new more.  Some historians say that stationmasters used quilts as signals for fugitive slaves and other historians say the quilts were never used.  I would like to believe that they were. I liked how Jennifer Chiaverini, author of the Elm Creek Quilt novels, brought the quilt signal argument to life. 

Thank you to Miss Nancy, Canaan Town Library, for recommending this book.  I also highly recommend 'The Runaway Quilt" for all who enjoy the stories behind the quilt.

(disclaimer:  I checked this book out from the library and the opinions of this book are my own and I was not compensated by the author)

No comments:

Post a Comment