Friday, July 20, 2012

V is for Vote

Being that this is a very important election year, the kids and I are currently working on a unit study by Amanda Bennett called Elections 2012. It is a 4 week unit study, but because of the flexibility of homeschooling, this particular study will take our family a bit longer. 

So far we have learned about the three branches of government, the voting process during the beginning of our presidential history, several vocabulary words and have read many wonderful books. We have also learned a bit about Presidents George Washington, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. 

Did you know that in the early elections, the person who received the most votes became President and the person who received the 2nd most votes became the Vice President?  I found that very interesting and thought about how those results would play out today.  I don't know about my kids, but I am curious as to when the voting process...Presidential nominees chose their running mate...changed and why.

Voting is a Right and those who are qualified...age 18 and up and a Legal Citizen of the United States...need to Vote in their perspective State Primaries and in the most important election ever...this coming Presidential Election in November. 

(My own personal opinion...I feel that the current administration does not "uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America" and does not deserve a 2nd term in office.  I could say more, but will keep those opinions to myself)

Come and see what Marcy and others are Blogging Through the Alphabet!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I remember when we studied the election process. Seems like years ago. I know what my children would say: I don't remember that! But it's funny how the little things stuck with them and they learned more than they thought they did! I see it come out, even when they don't recognize it came from our unit studies!!

    Love,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the many reasons why I like unit studies. I think it is a toss up of who enjoys them more...me or my children :)

      Delete