Monday, July 25, 2011

No More T.V.

I have been thinking about this post for the last couple of days.  I have been thinking about how media affects my children's behavior and how I, as a parent, have responsibility to guide my children from the harmful things that come across the airwaves.
I have noticed that when my children watch too many movies or have too much computer time, their behavior goes down hill.  They stop listening to me and my husband.  They become hyper-active and at times are difficult to communicate with.  I have also noticed that my son starts getting bored when too much media is on during the day.
I have been contemplating on doing a "No Movie Week" to see what the differences in behavior would be for my children's relationship with each other and with all of our family.  Today I didn't have to decide.  God did it for me...My kids were arguing over who gets to watch a movie next and they involved the television power button.  My kids pushed the power button too many times and now the television is broken.  I believe a power surge took place.
I realized that today my questions were answered for me.  God got my attention in a not so subtle way. 


 (picture taken day after Christmas..early in the morning)

I have been following and participating in Media Mondays, which is being hosted by Women Living Well Ministries.  There are many wonderful links in this series that have spoken to me.  I am learning a lot about my self, my marriage and parenting when it comes to the Media.  This is only the third week, but I already know that I will be making a few changes for the better...

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I have noticed lately my kids are grumpy when the movie ends. I've told them "if movies = grumpy kids, there will be no more movies!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear more about the changes you will be making! :O)

    ReplyDelete